Building and Zoning
To meet these requirements, the Building and Zoning Department does the following:
- Reviews applications and plans for new construction, and the alteration of existing structures.
- Issues building permits.
- Performs inspections of new or substantially altered buildings to assure that construction has been completed according to the appropriate codes and laws, and when necessary, then grants approval.
- Investigates complaints, typically concerning illegal construction and housing maintenance standards.
- Suggests updates to the Village Code to reflect social and technological changes.
- Prepares public hearings for Planning and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Administers Housing Code and conducts all inspections of rental property. 2013 Village of Glen Carbon Rental Property Maintenance and Occupancy Code
- Building Permit Fees
- Building Permit Applications
- Land Development Application
- Table of Contents
- Phase 1 - Staff Meeting
- Phase 2 - B&D
- Phase 3 - P&Z Preliminary
- Phase 4 - VBOT - Preliminary
- Phase 5 - VBOT - Final
- Phase 6 - Permitting
- Phase 7 - Pre-Construction
- Phase 8 - Construction & Inspection
- Phase 9 - Project Close Out
- Document #1 - Land Dev. Application
- Document #2 - Project Narrative
- Document #3 - Development Team
- Document #4 - Professional Fee Agreement
- Document #5 - Sample Aerial
- Document #6 - Sample Zoning Map
- Document #7 - Sample Comp Plan
- Document #8 - Civil Improvement Plan Checklist
- Document #9 - Landscaping Plan
- Document #10 - Erosion Permit
- Document #11 - Erosion Checklist
- Document #12 - Construction Team
- Document #13 - Subdivision Agreement
- Document #14 - Non-Subdivision Agreement
- Document #15 - Testing & Inspection
- Document #16 - Developer's Statement
- Document #17 - Business Registration Info
- Document #18 - Business Registration App
- Document #19 - Escrow Agreement
- Comprehensive Plan
- Zoning Map
- I-55 Corridor Plan
- Business Registration Application/Renewal
- Civil Improvement Plan Submittal Application and Checklist
- 2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
- Illinois Private Sewage Disposal Code
- Illinois Plumbing Code
- Rental Code
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code: Residential
- Illinois Roofing Industry Licensing Act
- 2012 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2003 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2003 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) Ordinance No. 2020-25 Property Maintenance Code
Application for Building Permits may be obtained from the Village Office or through our Applications/Permits page, and completed forms should be returned to the Village Office with any required supporting documents. Submitting applications via email to email@example.com is suggested. A fee will be charged for a permit based on a fee schedule approved by the Village Board of Trustees.
Secondary responsibilities of the Building Department are to administer and enforce the Zoning Code; and work closely with the Village Board of Trustees and Building and Development Committee.
The Zoning Code regulates the uses permitted on properties within various Zoning Districts; establishes required yard dimensions and heights of buildings; regulates the uses to which yards may be put; regulates off-street parking requirements, fences, walls exterior signage etc.
Inspections of work for which Building Permits are issued are performed by one of the Village Building Inspectors. As work is performed, periodic inspections will be made to see that work complies with approved plans and applicable codes. An inspection can be scheduled by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If the inspector visits and you do not know him, ask for identification.